5 Tips to Beat Cold & Flu Season ~ Jeremy Scott
It comes once a year like the carnival…that’s right its cold and flu season. Are you prepared for cold and flu season? If you want to beat the winter bug, and avoid having to go to the doctor and get on antibiotics and other drugs, now is the time to be thinking about prevention!
Being proactive is what we are talking about here are 5 quick tips to ensure you beat those nasty colds and the dreaded flu by strengthening your immune system this winter.
- Drink Lemon Water daily: staying hydrated is vital during this time of year to ensure your running at optimal levels 24 hours a day with fluids. Throwing in some lemon not only adds vitamin C to help your body boost its own immunity, but it also cleanses your liver and keeps your systems fighting strong.
- Eat real foods: avoid all the extra sugary treats and snacks at those holiday parties and events. There is a time and place for that, but not 3-4 times per week pick your battles and stick to real foods. Try eating at least 1 serving of greens per day as a minimum, if you have a hard time getting real veggies in at least pick yourself up a serving of powered greens by clicking here. This will ensure your getting enough micronutrients in your diet to stay healthy. Consuming high amounts of sugar makes your body a breading ground for sickness and more susceptible to getting ill.
- Get enough rest: the average person should get around 6-8 hours of quality rest per night. If your traveling more, working more, and sleeping less your going to be vulnerable to sickness. Sleep is when we recharge, repair, and heal so make it a priority. If you run yourself down you will find yourself laying in bed anyways trying to get your health back.
- Wash your hands more often: keeping bacteria and viruses off your hands is crucial. If they find their way on your hands off are they will find their way into your eyes and mouth as well. If you can’t wash as often as you like, keep some hand sanitizer close by to ensure your protected as much as possible.
- Stay Active: exercise everyday even if its’ only a 15-30 minute walk get up, get out and move your body. Movement, sweating, stretching, getting your heart rate up will benefit you. The mental and physical release is amazing for your body, make it mandatory and you will be happy you did.
- BONUS: if you want to have a little insurance I suggest you pick up some quality probiotics click here and take one daily to keep as much positive immune fighting bacteria inside your body as possible.
These are some very basic cold and flu fighting tips you can integrate into your daily routine immediately, trust me you will be happy you did when you can avoid the bugs floating around this holiday season.
Until next time eat well, train hard & be nice to people!
Jeremy Scott – Scottsdale Personal Trainer – Nutrition Coach