Hey guys I have been getting a lot of questions via email about some of the photos of supplements I have been posting on facebook, so I thought I would share my thoughts on Beta Alanine so you can see if it’s right for you to try in your fitness routine.
What is Beta Alanine?
Beta Alanine is a non-essential amino acid that occurs naturally in the body. You can also get it from food sources such as beef, chicken and fish…. you can also take it as a supplement.
What are the Benefits of Beta Alanine?
Some scientific studies have established that beta alanine increases muscle strength and output as well as increasing muscle mass. Some of other major benefits are:
- Increases Muscle Carnosine
- Helps Delay Muscle Fatigue
- May Help Extend Workout Intensity
- Increased Aerobic and Anaerobic Endurance
To break it down and make it “simple stupid” Beta Alanine allows you to train harder for longer periods of time without quitting due to normal fatigue…..pretty sweet I know!!!!
Who can benefit from taking beta-alanine?
- Men and Women who participate in athletic activities where strength, power and muscular endurance are needed.
- Men and Women who have reached a training plateau and are looking for a supplement to take them to the next level.
- Anyone who wants to be able to work harder and longer without getting exhausted as quick….sounds like it’s for just about everyone to me.
Some of the guys out there have asked me- Does beta-alanine replace creatine?
Beta-alanine will not and should not replace creatine. They work differently in the body, but that is for another blog post, creatine is still very effective for maximizing strength and power. If anything, I would suggest taking them together as the ultimate power combo!
So here are my personal final conclusions……
- Beta Alanine –is for just about anyone bodybuilders, weekend warriors, athletes, even general gym goers looking to get an edge
- It can help you run faster, be stronger, run longer, lift heavier weights
- It’s great for powerlifters, endurance runners, fitness models, if you want to get bigger and stronger it helps, if you want to be lean and ripped up like Rambo it helps
Give it a try personally I have been using Beta Alanine Extreme from Prolab Nutrition for the past 12 weeks or so and have found it to be amazing. This blog was promoted by an afternoon leg session that consisted of about 28 sets –heavy-medium-light loads, I found myself blasting through each rep and each set with more endurance then ever……I couldn’t help but think the Beta gave me the boost I needed!!!
Give it a try – Check out Prolab’s Beta Alanine Extreme it’s worth it!!!! Learn More at www.jeremyscottfitness.com
Photo Courtesy of: www.jamespatrickphotography.com
Kim et al. The effect of a supplement containing beta-alanine on muscle carnosine synthesis and exercise capacity, during 12 week combined endurance and weight training.
Harris et al. Effect of 14 and 28 days beta-alanine supplementation on isometric endurance of the knee extensors. Presented at the 2006 ISSN national conference.
Sebastian Balcombe, BSE, Ash Batheja, MPT, CSCS, and Anssi Manninen, MHS- Livestrong.com